Monday, December 14, 2009

Bloom Where You are Planted

I feel like our lives have been a roller coaster over the last year and a half. Because, really it has. I have to vent a little in saying I was not particularly too excited to come back to Utah. Which is so very ironic in that it was really hard to leave. Hmmm. I have to give a little background.
I was excited to go to Missouri for the new adventure, new start, new place, new people. I was sad to leave family, all the shopping you ever need and endless options. Living just out of the city life. The mountains a short drive away. The many Temples so close. leaving to a small place that I related to somewhat of a hick town. And quite a few other things... It was hard. But, the area, people and everything it offered grew on me much more than I ever expected. It actually was not a hick town, (maybe some of the close by surrounding areas) I love the people I really got to know and I will never forget them. I learned to not take anything I have for granted. You really have to work a little harder at a lot of things living so far away from a bigger city, in a smaller area. Everyone seams to stick together, work together more.
You just have to. The hard part about coming back is the chaotic atmosphere. Everyone is in a rush it seams. People in general are less courteous. People are friendly but not as outgoing and friendly as I had been used to. It is just different here. I can't quite put my finger on it all.
It's really not all bad. It is great to be close to family again, and all of the first mentioned things I would miss about Utah. I feel like I have had a lot of time to think about things. One thing that has been on my mind after getting here is, no matter where you are, you can make the best or worst out of it. It is what you make of it. I remembered someone said something like that in a talk at church once and how home is where your family is, where you let your heart be. It doesn't matter where. You will have different opportunities and will be needed wherever you go. Just about anything can work when you have set your heart on it and have faith.
I have been thinking about what I can do here to get people to just get together (not too big on playgroups and such) or, are there activities in the community that I can get involved in with the kids, where are places that I can meet new people outside of our little neighborhood/ward. Although, a great thing I do have to add, is that Brandon has quite the number of friends to play with in the neighborhood.
Which he has so desperately needed. I am sure there is so much I can do, I just have to force myself to get out and do something. I know that is what I should be doing anyway. All of this stuff, and much more has been going through my head and I needed a way to put it into one little context. Then I heard it from a friend.
Bloom where you are planted.
It then made sense to me. I need to let myself bloom and just be the best that I can and just get out and do what I can. My sister always told me that when you move to a new place, it's a new start, new beginning, and you can be anyone you decide to be. It's so true. There are so many opportunities out there waiting to happen, we (meaning I) just need to be active and open minded and prayerful in all that we do to let them happen.
No matter where we are planted, no matter how hard it may seam, if we are strong enough, we can grow and bloom, probably in ways we wouldn't ever imagine.

4 comments:

Amy said...

How did you know I needed this?

We're contemplating a big move right now, far away from family, to the cold snow and it's got me all stressed out.

Thanks for your reminder that I can do it and as long as my little family is together, we'll be just fine.

Kenningtons said...

Great post!!! I think I know what you mean about UT being so different/less friendly from other places and I think I have an idea why: being an outsider, I have NO family around and it seems like EVERYONE else does....or they grew up here so they already are in their comfort zone. There is no need to get out and meet new people or forge new friendships because most people in UT already have a built in support system. I was excited to come here but anxious at the same time that it would be hard to make friends or that I would feel like a loner. When we lived in Singapore and NYC where people are much farther from home, you rely on people more to be your extended "family" than you do if your actual family lives within a short drive. I don't know if that's true or not but that's my theory. Anyway, I hope you are able to bloom where you are planted....moving is always exciting (and hard), isn't it?!

Lisa said...

Wow Amy! You are really thinking about leaving Texas? That's big. Have ever lived anywhere else? I am sure you will do great wherever you go. You are so fun and likeable! :) Good luck!

Thanks Jamie. Maybe you are right. That makes sense to me. It's so interesting to me talking to people who have never lived anywhere else but here. Very different outlook. We need to get together now that we are here.

Amy said...

I've only been out of state for college at Rick's for two years. And I hated the snow.

We are countering an offer today so I'm pretty sure it's going to happen and we'll end up in Chicago. I'm sure I'll freeze my a** off but I can make the best of it and enjoy the cool city in the spring and summer.

Thanks again.

What we believe

About Me

My photo
Utah
I am a SAHM with my three wonderful children. It's really a lot harder than I ever imagined but, I love being with them, learning, and growing from and with them.